The town of Lovech is situated in Central Northern Bulgaria, 150 km away from Sofia.
Lovech is one of the oldest populated areas in Bulgaria. The town was founded on the remains of the Thracian settlement of Melta and the Roman city of Presidium. The Hisarya fortress was built during the First Bulgarian Kingdom (681 to 1018). It was here that the peace accord between Bulgaria and Byzantium was signed in 1187, marking the beginning of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom and the end of the bicentennial Byzantine rule over Bulgarian lands.
The Hisarya fortress above Lovech was one of the last to fall during the Ottoman invasion.
Located within the old town of Lovech, the “Varosha” neighbourhood, are the ethnographic complex and the “Vasil Levski” museum. Lovech is famous for being the centre of the Internal Revolutionary Organisation of revolutionary Vasil Levski (1837 – 1873) during his struggle for liberation from Ottoman rule. The narrow cobblestone streets of Varosha and the authentic atmosphere bring the tourists back into the past. The remains of the Hisarya fortress are located at the highest point of the old town. The monument of Vasil Levski is located close to the fortress.
You can get acquainted with the history of the town and the region at the town's Historical Museum.
The covered bridge over the Osum river is the symbol of Lovech. The bridge connects the town's old and new part. It was built between 1872 and 1874 by the Revival era master-builder Kolyu Ficheto, and today it houses numerous small shops where one can buy souvenirs.
Other sights in “Varosha” include the Art Gallery and the cathedral “St. Nedelya,” whose murals date back to 1873. The church was proclaimed a cultural monument through Protocol No. 7 of the NSCMP dated 25 November 1999.
Along the shore of the Osum river is the park “Bash Bunar.” The river's rocky shore is dredged with small and large caves. Bones and objects from the Palaeolithic and the Bronze Age were found in two of them - “Vasil Levski” and Tabashkata. The park is a pleasant place for a walk and relaxation.
The Stratesh hill is another popular place for walks in Lovech. The hill has been turned into a park for relaxation and is the site of the Lovech zoo. There are also two monuments in honour of the soldiers that fell in the Russian-Turkish war of 1877 – 1878.
The Kakrina Inn, where Vasil Levski was captured by the Ottoman zaptiyes (policemen), is a museum nowadays. It is located 19 km away from Lovech and is one of the 100 national tourist sites.
The Devetashka cave is located 18 km away from Lovech. It is the largest of the 60 caves in the region of the Devetashko plateau. Particularly impressive is the cascade of lakes and waterfalls within the cave's interior. The Krushuna waterfalls are another natural marvel in the region of Lovech. The waterfalls are the highest travertine cascade in Bulgaria. An eco-path with bridges and stairs has been established through the water cascade, so that the visitors can reach vantage points below and above the waterfalls.