The “Vasil Levski” Museum is located within the architectural-historical reservation “Varosha” - Lovech's old neighbourhood.
This is one of the most popular sites related to the name and deeds of the Apostle of Freedom, Vasil Levski, who chose Lovech to be the revolutionary capital of Bulgaria. The museum was opened on February 19, 1954, and as of 1967 the exposition is located at its current spot – the old neighbourhood of Lovech.
The exposition within the “Vasil Levski” Museum is situated on two levels and reflects the work of Vasil Levski and the Bulgarian people's struggles for national liberation.
Vasil Ivanov Kunchev – Levski is the most venerated hero in Bulgarian history. A freedom fighter, revolutionary, and promoter of equality, he was one of the primary ideologists and organisers of the struggles for national liberation in the XIX century.
The Museum also holds the most extensive collection of Levski's personal belongings in Bulgaria. Here you can see his sword, dagger, small printing press, fake Turkish stamps, receipts. The museum also hosts an original portrait of Vasil Levski from 1870.
Among the exhibits are also the belongings of the Apostle's associates and followers in Lovech, of participants in the April Rebellion (1876) and the Liberation War (1877 – 1878).
Apart from the “Vasil Levski” Museum, a visitor in “Varosha” can also see the Ethnographic Complex, and the Lovech fortress on top of the hill above the old town. There is a 14-metre monument of Levski erected next to it, which was officially inaugurated on May 27, 1964.
The “Vasil Levski” Museum is entered into the list of One hundred national tourist sites. Souvenirs can be bought at the museum.