One of the beautiful parks of Bulgaria and a source of pride for the citizens of Lovech.
It encompasses an area of about 1000 decares in the north-eastern part of town. It bears the name of the hill it is situated on. The Stratesh hill is shown on a map made by Felix Kanitz under the name of “Great mountain.” In Russian maps and descriptions from the time of the Russian-Turkish war (1877-1878) it was named “Red-haired heights.” This was where Major general Alexander Imeretinski's detachment began their operation to liberate the town. According to Professor Anastas Ishirkov, the name “Stratesh” comes from the personal name Strati, which is fairly common in the town.
This is also the site of the lake, which occupies an area of 2 decares. Around it, there are a rosarium, an alpineum and other beautiful places. Situated on the ledge at the rock overhanging the river is the White monument, as this place was a Russian artillery position during the Liberation war. Close nearby are trees planted by the crew of the “Soyuz 33” space station – Nikolay Rukavishnikov and Georgi Ivanov, and their colleagues Aleksander Aleksandrov and Alexei Eliseev during their visit to Lovech on May 16, 1979. From the monument, along the asphalt-covered Alley of Bulgarian-Russian and Bulgarian-Soviet friendship, one can reach the memorial. The alley was built in 1977, in honour of the 100th anniversary since the liberation of Lovech.
In the eastern part of the park is one of the most frequently visited places – the zoo, which is the second-largest in Bulgaria in terms of size and animal variety.