The Covered bridge in the town of Lovech is one of the town's symbols and among the most visited local attractions.
Towards the end of the XIX century, the citizens of Lovech turned to the self-taught master-builder Kolyu Ficheto with a plea to build them a covered bridge with small shops. He began the construction in 1874 and completed it in the winter of 1876.
The bridge was 10 m wide and 84 m long. The foundations were made of stone and the remaining part – from wood. Along its length were 64 craftsman's and merchant's shops, which served a large part of the inhabitants of Lovech and the surrounding villages. The Covered Bridge was decorated with four sculptures – a lion, a two-headed eagle, a female bust, and a stick with mace. Only the lion has survived up to this day.
In August 1925, a large fire destroyed the bridge. In the period 1927 – 1931, a new covered bridge was built from reinforced concrete. It was later refurbished in such a way that it matched Kolyu Ficheto's original to a maximum extent.
The Covered Bridge connects the new part of the town with the old town, the architectural-historical reservation “Varosha,” which is the location of the Vasil Levski museum and the Ethnographic Museum.
There are various shops, a café and a pastry shop on the bridge, offering a beautiful view of the river and the town.
The covered bridge is a popular place among tourists, and one can buy various souvenirs from its shops, in order to retain the memory of Lovech. The bridge over the Osum river is the only covered bridge in the Balkans.